Reflections on Week 1

As I think about this first week, the word that immediately comes to mind is "whirlwind", we moved with record speed (except I was somewhat tortoise like in my travels), but everybody was moving with a quicken pace (that's ok though because I am catching up!).

My educational platform has and I expect will continue to be Facebook with other new media platforms sprinkled in, I'm loving the idea more and more of blogging and how I will be able to incorporate blogging from a personal perspective and academic perspective for me on two sides as a student and as a professor and that excites me!

People having a safe space where they can be authentic in their ideas and how they process and engage in the learning process has no bounds and Web 2.0 and Social Media gives a voice many , times to the "voiceless"  it's empowering and it offers a variety of dialogue, dissent, and perspective.  Each topic no matter what it is provides formal and informal opportunities for people to learn and all kinds of "teachable moments".

When I think about how technology has infused education, I think about how my mom was doing that with us (myself and my siblings) long before of any thoughts of social media (see I was a 70's baby).  My mom was an educator (English and Black Studies), and she would engage us in what would somewhat look like Web 2.0 and Social Media in a more brick and mortar way.  My mother would hand me and my brothers an article, or political or entertaining comic strip (she loved the Family Circus the best), or a Dear Abby article that she found interesting or held some message she wanted us to catch or discuss.  And she would never tell us her thoughts until after we read and engaged in dialogue.  She would have each of us read, and then she would ask us our thoughts, and it would spark some of the most amazing discussions and she was teaching us how to think critically, to analyze, and to articulate our thoughts, ideas, and beliefs on a variety of issues early on in a thoughtful way which helped to cultivate our ability to think freely and independently.

What my mommy did with us, is something that I do to this very day with my own family, husband, children, and friends.  I share articles, and books, and meme's with quick deliberate messages, and videos, and songs, an entire litany of things and I ask for thoughts, and I do what my mom did without social media platforms with them because they are available to me.

I have some ideas about how and what kinds of communities I will monitor/stalk and engage with, and yep, you've guessed it they are likely to be on "Da Book" if I have my way, I'm already thinking about at least one that would be great for my paper.

Now that I have semi-wrapped my head around the scope of this course, I expect I will be much more fluid in the coming weeks.

Week 1 of Web 2.0 down.  See you next week!

Comments

  1. You mention Facebook in this post -- are you using it with students? If so, what are you doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way I have traditionally used Facebook with my students has been more so based on something that would come through my feed that would directly relate to material we were covering in class. Because my background and both my degrees are in Political Science I always had my hand on the pulse of current events, so much so that even if I already had my lesson plan decided for an upcomimg class lecture I would be paying attention to what's going on in the nation, world, and locally. So I always try to make the studies relate to what was going on, so I have been blessed that so many of the groups and pages I follow would always have something I could pull from and infuse in whatever we were doing in class so there are many days when I would pull up my Facebook page and go through some of the posts that came through, that I shared, and some of the commentary and allow my students to engage in those discussions too and how they related to the material I was teaching and they were learning in class.

      Delete
  2. your mom was an amazing woman and teacher. she backed up everything my grandparents taught me. and you are just as amazing and so eloquent with your words and writings. i'm gonna enjoy reading your blogs!!! love ya

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts