Why Social Media Really Isn't Just Social

Years ago, before Facebook there was MySpace, and I remember thinking how anti-social I was in many spaces, because people really got on my nerves a lot, so I had no desire to be interacting with anyone on MySpace.  Well fast forward about seven years ago, one of my closest girlfriends (she's like my sister), encouraged me, badgered me really to get a Facebook account.  She was like "C'mon Daniella, that's how you can keep up with the people you grew up with and your classmates, etc.).  So I did, and sure enough, I reconnected with so many people, found my best friend again, was able to get notified and keep up with updates about my 20-year class reunion, I mean it was great.

Well, for me that wasn't enough, I inadvertently started using it more to bring awareness to issues of social injustice.  I would share posts, create my own posts, and add additional commentary to posts that moved me when I shared them.  Facebook became my very own personal platform to teach and engage in an informal unconstrained way.

I bring that up now, because i had not though about it in that way until being in this Web 2.0 classroom, people talked about blogs and had blogs and the more I think on this, I realize I have been blogging for years on so many subjects especially social justice and politics, I simply did so from my profile page.

Social media isn't just social, it its this phenomena if an amazing laboratory and online classroom that speaks through the World Wide Web to people all over the world, near and far, without apology and with very little censorship, and it has awakened people in a way that is indescribable because people from all walks of life are connected and learning at the speed of light, and the beautiful thing about that body of education is it cannot be legislated by people who don't mean us any good in positions of power, they have not been able to contain education, truth, and sharing.

Social Media Check mate!

Comments

  1. With all the interaction within social media... the truth is... there is hardly any interaction taking place with as as human beings at all anymore.. And the consequence of such has caused a rise in the level of indifference and lack of social graces that were once common to us. We push keys, and send emojis.... but in the end, all the social media flowing in the world can never replace a live and real interaction with someone...

    True communion is slowly becoming a lost art.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts